Arne is described as 14th century Swedish, and it was requested that his scroll be in a 14th century style. Yes! Manuscript 1.33 to the rescue! Manuscript 1.33 (also know as the Walpurgis Manuscript of the Tower Manuscript) is one of the oldest surviving martial arts manuals, dating to 1300. I felt this suited my needs well.
Or course, I thought finding words would be difficult, but I turned to the manuscript. And there, in the first pages, was what I felt would be perfect wording for a scroll of martial ability! The words are as follows:
"Brennan Rex and Caoilfhionn Regina, King and Queen of the East, to all whom these present letters come: greetings.
It is to be noted, how in general all men holding a sword in hand use these six wards, of which we have these verses:
Six wards there are, under the arm the foremost,
to the right shoulder is given the second, to the left the third,
to the head give the fourth, give to the right side the fifth
and finally, to the sixth, have you the breast.
It is to be noted, that the art is so described as the ordering of diverse strikes. Note that the center of all the art with sword consists of practice, persistence, and prowess. All actions of the wards or of the swords are determined by it; they end in it and not in others. Therefore, do first consider well this above-mentioned.
It is three that precede, the remaining do follow
These seven parts are executed by the common,
but Arne Ulrichsson has the defense and the means.
During this time, there was a lot of talk about people carving wood to do block prints on scrolls. The idea was very up in the air. It just so happened that a friend of mine, Kathyrn "Kit" Mercer ((visit her own blog here)), had asked if next time I received a scroll assignment if I could let her know and we could collaborate on something. I felt that this idea would work well for this scroll and sent her towards the manuscript for her to design the two men sparring.
I wanted to keep as true to the manuscript as possible, trying to work my words size-wise around the size of the printing, and then I shaded in the print in the style that it appeared in the manuscript. Eventually I had all of that complete, but I still felt I was missing something. I felt there needed to be some sort of border at the top.
Again I turned to the manuscript, scouring it for ideas, but it only appeared to be writing and form structures of men sparring. Until a friend pointed out a small little design in the corner. And eventually I found another. I decided to alternate the little marginalia at the top and it really pulled everything together quite nicely.
Edit: I decided to add the actual wording from the manuscript for compare and contrast visual.