Saturday, September 12, 2015

Olivia Baker's Order of the Pine

I have been suffering with a lot of medical aliments recently, the most recent of which being a broken arm. It put a halt on nearly all of my creating which threw me into a sadness of epic proportions. That is until I got a request to do a scroll for the neighboring Barony, Concordia of the Snows. It wasn't just that it was a request, but it was a scroll request for someone I dearly adore and I just couldn't say no. I was going to pour my heart into this scroll just in case the rest of my body wasn't up to it.

I requested words from Mistress Ysemay Sterlyng, who is also a good friend of Olivia, knowing that she would enjoy helping out here. The words she wrote were as follows:

"With a song on her lips and generosity in her heart, does Lady Olivia Baker serve Our Barony of Concordia of the Snows. Whatever she does, whether organizing events, fulfilling the duties of exchequer, or encouraging and inspiring others, Lady Olivia toils with style and grace. Thus do We, Baron Jean-Paul and Baroness Lylie, induct her into the Order of the Pine, so that all may know her as a valued asset to Concordia. Done this day September 12th, at the Arts and Sciences Salon, A.S. X."

For inspiration, I turned to one of my favorite pieces: The Hours of Engelbert of Nassau, circa 1470-1480. It is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever run across, using trompeloi in the borders to beautiful effect.

Here is the original inspiration:



This ended up being the finished product:


Edit: I am not perfect. No scribe is. There are plenty of imperfections and misspellings, etc, even in period. Yes. I wrote the wrong AS year. I was never taught roman numerals and wasn't really thinking. I apologize. I assure you it is year 50, though. I wish I could write the actual date instead. I apologize for the error.

No comments:

Post a Comment